Friday, June 10, 2011

Creating a complex object

Starting off I decided to create a room with a modern and free design. Following some tips and guides I commenced the object by creating a base for my building. It goes without saying that this object will be made up of more than one basic prim, so I had to first understand how to work with and link multiple prims.

Connecting prims requires that you first create more than one prim and then select them using the Shift key and change their properties to "Linked". Through this method, I built up the base and the walls. Through trial and error I came to realize that to align and place the objects together, one should make use of the positioning properties of the respective objects. This results in perfect alignment and not aligning them by eye and when you rotate the view, the object is totally not as it should be.

After I create the walls and the floors I wanted a roof to be made up in a cloud-like manner. This requires you to manipulate your object to deviate from the basic shapes. I created a basic object and manipulated and edited the options to create around 8 unique cloud-like random shapes and placed them around each other to form a cloud-like roof.

When I finished the basic structure I changed the textures of the objects to reflect wood, for the walls, some nice tiles for the floor and glass-like cealing. I also changed the texture of the entrance to reflect a grassy texture and added some benches and an orb-like transparent centrepiece.

I found building objects quite enjoyable though like most things, practise makes perfect so in order to learn how to translate what you have in mind onto a 3d model requires a fair amount of time.

Below is gallery showing the progress of constructing such an object

No comments:

Post a Comment